There are several variables to consider when shopping for an energy supplier. Use this list of questions as a guide as you compare various energy suppliers' prices, terms, enrollment processes, billing and customer service.
- What is the price per kilowatt-hour (kWh)?
- What does the price include?
- What is the total price for (fill in your criteria) kWh of electricity usage?
- Is it a fixed rate or a variable rate?
- If it is a fixed rate, how long does it stay fixed?
- Are there any other charges that could change during the term of the agreement?
- Is there more than one rate plan to choose from?
- What is the length of the agreement?
- Is there a penalty for cancelling an agreement before the term is up?
- What happens if I move outside the service territory during the contract term?
- Are there any other terms in the agreement?
- Will there be a credit check?
- Will I be asked for a deposit? If so, how much?
- What steps must I take if I want to change suppliers or return to supply service with the Ameren Illinois Utilties?
- What will be the date my service starts?
- When will I receive my first bill?
- How will I be billed?
- Am I able to participate in different billing plans, such as budget billing or deferred-payment arrangements?
- Do you accept bill payments online or by phone?
- Will notices (disconnection, tree-trimming, claims, etc.) be sent to me if the bill is not provided by the utility?
- What are the customer service hours and phone number?